Wednesday, August 12, 2015

3 Key Relationships of a Godly Father

For the past 58+ years, I have been blessed with a godly father. As I think about him (who he is to me; what he has done for me; and how he has been used by God to shape who I am today), there are three key ways my dad has interacted with me that stand out as most important. I have tried to incorporate each of these in my relationship with my kids, and I would challenge any reader to do the same.

A Friend

Over the years, my dad and I have developed a mutual friendship. We both like being with each other and we have the greatest time doing things together. We have shared life together. Dad, obviously, initiated this process when I was little. He spent time with me when he could have done things with others. And he did it because he wanted to.

As I grew older and began to participate in sports, academics, and the arts, he was at every event. I honestly cannot remember a time when he and mom weren’t there supporting me. I know he had to have missed one every now and then, but it happened so infrequently it didn’t matter. The thing I remember the most, however, is that we spent time reliving each event and talking through what happened. It was as if we had both been active participants. And I Loved It.

After college, I had the unique privilege of being in business with dad. I got to see the way he thought, processed, attacked challenges, and he invited me into his inner circle. We were partners. We fought side by side. We laughed together, cried together, we got frustrated together, and we celebrated --- together. But it wasn’t all work either. We went fishing and hunting in the mountains of Montana, often with my grandfather, dad’s dad.

Today, we are hundreds of miles apart. I try to connect by phone each week and our past times together are often the topic of conversation. He still wants to know what I am doing, how things are going, and if there is anything he can do to help. My dad is one of my closest, and dearest, friends. For me, a godly father means intentionally creating a mutual friendship with your kids.

A Coach

It all started with sports. I learned how to throw a football, tackle, and block on Sunday’s in the back yard. He would map out a play and then work on the techniques of how to plant your feet, make a turn, and more. He taught me how to shoot a basketball, pitch a baseball, and hit one out of the park. One year in Benton City, Washington, he was my baseball coach. We went undefeated that year.

In High School, dad & I  had hand signals we used to “talk” about pitch selection. I would stand on the pitching mound with both feet on the rubber; head bowed, and think of the next pitch I wanted to throw. Then I would look up at dad to see the pitch he would call: If his fist pointed straight up, fastball; If his fist was sideways, curve; And if his fist was pointed straight at me, knuckleball. Most of the time our calls were the same. When they were different, sometimes I used his call, other times I kept mine. Either way, we had great conversations afterwards about what we chose, why we chose that pitch, and of course the outcome.

My dad was one of the early pioneers in software development. When he started coding for computers the hardware was the size of a living room and he used punch cards in a long tray to write his programs. We had to wear a parka while in the room because they kept it so cold. Evidently the large number of tubes used to make these computers gave off so much heat they had to cool the room to 50 degrees or so. I learned to write software from Dad when I joined the small computer bookkeeping serve that he and mom started in 1980. For more than 20 years, we developed school administrative applications for accounting, student records, food service, and more all on personal computers.

Dad has also been a coach personally as well. We have had many conversations about parenting, marriage, work, and more. For me, a godly father makes himself available to help his kids be the best they can be as a coach.

A Brother-In-Christ

Nothing has been more important to me than this relationship. My dad has modeled in front of me every day of my life what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ. He has lived transparently. I have seen his victories, his defeats, his struggles, and his resolve to live a life that honors God. There can be on greater thing a dad can do for his children than living transparently to his kids.

Dad never dropped us off at church; he let us out at the door, parked the car, and then lead the way inside. We prayed together, read the Word together, sang together, and he and mom made our home an extension of the church. I never really knew where church and home started and ended. They were never separated. They were always one. And I will always be grateful for that example. For me, being a godly father means integrating faith into every part of life.

On August 12th, 1935

80 years ago, LeRoi Lewis Smith was born to Henry and Doris Smith in Daily, Michigan. For 58 years he has been, and continues to be, my friend, my coach, my brother-in-Christ – MY DAD.

Happy 80th Birthday Dad.
You are one of God’s greatest blessings in my life!

No comments: